Level: Mid Level with Project Management responsibilities
Location: Berlin, full time payroll contract
Project: Our Politics of Data project researches, develops, tests and distributes resources which help the interested public understand the how their personal and individual data is accumulated and used and the implications for their privacy and civil liberties. Related projects: Me and My Shadow, the Data Detox Kit, The Glass Room.
What we are looking for
Tactical Tech is looking for a highly committed and experienced individual to come onboard as a Project coordinator for our work on the intersection between personal data, social justice, civil liberties and human rights. We are looking to hire someone, who is a great communicator and has experience in handling advocacy, public awareness raising, and capacity building projects with a civil liberties and human rights context. Focussed on digital technologies. Ideally, you will have practical experience in producing toolkits, guides or campaign materials, as well as in organising international trainings and events.
We are looking for someone who has a sound understanding of digital technologies and the role data and technology can have on civil liberties. You should be comfortable translating complex issues for non-technical audiences, based on a combined technical and socio-political understanding of the issues. You should also ideally have experience working within a non-profit or comparable environment with a capacity building or advocacy focus. Tactical Tech is entirely grant-funded, therefore you will also have sound project and budget management experience.
The Project Coordinator will work on at least one project that requires the production of a series of awareness raising resources, such as animations, toolkits and websites. The project coordinator will also contribute to the capacity building deliverables related to the project, such as training curricula and toolkits.
The Project Coordinator will be part of the programme team and depending on experience and funding, may lead small projects. In this role, you will be responsible for timely and high quality implementation and project coordination, as well as high quality input to grant reports and proposals, as required. The Project Coordinator will report to the Executive or the Deputy Director.
Education, Skills and Professional Experience
- At least five years experience in working in advocacy, production of awareness raising resources, and capacity building within an international non-profit setting. Experience in producing toolkits, websites, curricula and public awareness materials a distinct advantage.
- Demonstrated expertise in issues related to the intersection of tech, data, privacy and civil liberties/human rights.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong research and writing skills and proven ability to write in a non-academic, engaging manner for non-technical audiences in a number of formats.
- Native or near native written English, additional languages a distinct advantage.
- Experience in project management with a strong practical approach.
- Excellent skills in using open source office software.
- The ability to work in a variety of team settings.
- Good problem-solving skills, with a hands-on and can-do approach.
- Comfortable with creative and iterative processes.
- Ability to produce results under pressure and within tight deadlines.
- Ability to work flexibly in a dynamic and fast moving environment.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out.
- Experience working internationally and a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world.
This is a mid level position. Graduates with at least five years experience are encouraged to apply. The salary is based upon our internal salary scales for project coordinators and is competitive for a Berlin-based non-profit. This is a two-year position, with a six month probation period. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance. We are seeking candidates who have the right to live and work in Europe.
Please apply via email email@example.com (the PGP Key fingerprint is: F332 42F9 DD5B 91D9 AEF3 108A 6AC5 FEC2 7C8B 5F0D) using the subject line “Project Coordinator” with your CV and a covering letter in a pdf format outlining your suitability for the post by September 17th 2017
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.