What is personal data in an age when our data is everything but personal? Our websites, apps, social media and 'smart' devices all thrive on the same thing that makes tech companies billions – data. Not just any data, but our data.
Launched in June 2018 the Glass Room Experience IoT Edition, developed in partnership with Mozilla, asks critical questions about the technology we use and the devices that are increasingly crowding our homes.
Based on the Glass Room exhibition, seen by over 40,000 people in Berlin, New York and London, The Glass Room Experience is a DIY exhibtion on data and privacy that anyone can set up and host in their own space. Since launch in June 2018, the Glass Room Experience ioT edition has been seen by over 16,000 people at 11 events in Europe, with a total of at lats 75 events planned for North America, Europe and the rest of the world that will spark a conversation on data and privacy with a broader cross section of people around the world than ever before.
At every Glass Room Experience installations, visitors can explore the world of smart devices with our interactive game Fake or Real, learn how facial recognition works with our giant visualisation “The real life of your selfie” or find out what goes on behind ther screens with our tablet based app, “The Internet you don’t see”.
Visitors can also pick up our free Data Detox Kit, our easy eight-day guide to improving your digital privacy.
Over 2018 Tactical Tech and Mozilla plan to send the Glass Room Experience to over 75 events, libraries, galleries, schools and colleges in Europe, North America and the rest of the world.
Since launch the IoT edition has already been hosted at over 11 events in Europe and seen by over 16000 people already:
- N3XT Coder, SAP, Berlin - 31 May 2018
- EU open day, Belgium, 12 June 2018
- Giz, Berlin, 13 June 2018
- Sonar, Barcelona, 13 – 15 June 2018
- David King, Croydon High School, 14 – 15 June 2018
- Maker Faire, Barcelona, 16 – 17 June 2018
- Josselin Dufort, Paris Futur Festival, 21 – 23 June 2018
- Thoughtworks, Birmingham, 23 June 2018
- Jeff Kaufmann, Bee Secure. Luxembourg, 2 – 8 July 2018
- Izabela Boloz, Gyndia, Poland, 9 – 15 July 2018
At those events we have distributed over 2000 Data Detox Kits,
And the response from hosts has so far been very positive:
From one host of an event: “From Wednesday to Friday, around 200 students visited and participated in workshops inside of the Glass Room Exhibition. On Saturday, about 70 people visited on the opening day of the exhibition. Overall, we received extremely positive Feedback about the exhibition. People highlighted the attractive visualizations of elements that we usually don't see of the Internet.”
From the Future ES event in Paris: "I'm very happy with the glass room, I had really a lot of people stopping by, and I gave away lots of detox kits. It was a very special kind of public, very different from activist conferences, so very new, and definitely worth having a chat with. A mixed audience, more "tech enthusiast" or just curious, but without any political or critical culture..."
On Friday 3 August, we opened The Glass Room Experience Plus at The Copernicus Centre Warsaw, with a giant version of The Real Life of Your Selfie visualisation in Polish and English, and the Fake or Real game on a touch screen.
It’s a great space right on the waterfront in Warsaw, a hugely busy area in the summer so there should be very substantial visitor numbers over the opening until 16 September.
From September onwards we should be busy with the following events in Europe confirmed:
- ILFA summit, Kuala Lumpur, 28 August 2018
- Gothenburg Library, Sweden, 1 – 28 September, 2018
- Hivos Costa Rica + Guatamala and Bolivia, Sept- Oct 2018
- w3rkhof.ch, swiss tour 1 -10 September, 2018
- BBC AI event, London 3 September 2018
- Gogbot, Rotterdam Netherlands, 6 – 9 September
- Hull Science Festival 11 – 14 September, 2018
- Brighton Digital Festival 13 September, 2018
- V&A Digital Design Weekend 15 – 18 September
- Ondula, Madrid - 21st September – 5 October
- Pixelache, Helsinki 28 – 30 September
- Generation Code, European Parliament – 28 – 30 September
- Privacy Salon, Brussels 4 – 12 October
- International libraries conference, London,15 – 22 October
- Maker Faire, Eindhoven, 10 – 11 October
- Future of Demonstration. Vienna 20 – 25, October
- GiZ event, Berlin, 23 October
- MozFest, London 26-28 October, 2018
- Università di Corsica Pasquale Paoli, Library 1 November,
- Bastille Digital c/o Università di Corsica 1 November,
- Muffatwerk 3 – 4 November, 2018
- Potentiale, Austria – 9 – 11 November
- Heinrich Boell, Bits and Baume, Berlin - 17 – 18 November
- Future of the Law, Humboldt Berlin. 28 – 29 November
In Europe and rest of the world we have strong possibilities from:
- Oui Share festivals in Europe
- Maker Fair Bilbao
- Library Friesland, Netherlands – 7 – 21 October
- Plus Code technology festival, Buenos Aires – 11 – 25 November
- Privacidad Global, 9 – 15 October, 208
- Dox Contemporary Art Centre, Prague
- Centre of Science and technology, Lisbon, Portugal
- Mozilla Foundation, Sanat Maria Brazil
- CSRW radio station events, Berlin
- Conscious Coders, Munich
- Suddeutsche Zeitung
- Equality Bahamas – womens human rights organisation
- Lado B. Colombia
- Dancing with Drones, Stockholm
We also have good enquiries for the following events and organisations in North America:
- Berkeley University
- Cornell University
- Double Exposure investigative film festival, DC – October 10 – 14
- Creative Resilience Collective
- Stanford for Social Good
To apply to host your own Glass Room Experience, head to the website.