Project Coordinator: 'Online Influence and Opinion'
Tactical Tech is an international NGO whose mission is to build capacity at the intersection of human rights and technology in order to create more equitable, democratic and sustainable societies.
We explore how digital technologies affect rights, equity and sustainability and how they shift power structures. We work to build the capacity of civil society organisations and communities worldwide to explore and mitigate the impact of digital technologies on their immediate context and on society at large. Our work informs the responses of key stakeholders, provides practical solutions and enables our audiences to make more informed decisions and take action.
How information flows and how influence and opinion are formed is substantively affected by digital technologies. Over the past few years, the potential downsides of this have become more apparent, as has its connection to the further weakening of democratic systems and increasing polarisation in societies worldwide.
Through our work as Tactical Tech we want to build the capacity of civil society actors on the evolving topics of influence and opinion making in the digital age. We research, document and enable critical thinking on how digital influence – beyond the spread of misinformation – impacts democratic processes and freedom of expression. Tactical Tech addresses the topic of Influence and Opinion through our various projects, focusing on digital investigation techniques (Exposing the Invisible), the use of personal data in digital political campaigning (Data & Politics) or by increasing understanding related to misinformation and how it works (The Glass Room: Misinformation Edition). Our aim is to further understand the issues and the potential for solution-finding, enabling critical thinking and increasing societal resilience to these challenges.
Tactical Tech is looking for a highly committed and experienced individual to come on board as a Project Coordinator for our work on a group of projects under the key theme Influence & Opinion. We are looking for someone who possesses a good understanding of the following topics: misinformation, investigation and media freedom, personal data and human rights.
The ideal candidate already has practical experience in managing and implementing projects – from planning timelines to managing budgets and writing reports. Preferably your experience in projects includes producing written resources as well as organising trainings and events, offline and online. You should feel comfortable working with a specialised audience of investigators, journalists, and civil society organisations. An interest and experience working with international and non-specialised audiences through the network of our partners will be also part of your job in the future.
If you enjoy working in an international environment, you are a great communicator and have experience in handling public awareness-raising and capacity-building projects focussed on challenges of the digital age, follow the details of this call and apply to work with us at Tactical Tech!
- 3+ years experience working in project management, with strong preference for projects related to digital technology, information and data.
- Solid project and grant management and organizational skills as well as an independent, hands-on, reliable, and quality-oriented way of working.
- Experience in producing toolkits and public awareness materials in various formats like articles, reports, curricula, podcasts, blogs etc.
- Experience in designing and organising international trainings and events, offline and online.
- A strong analytical mindset and communication skills.
- Sound understanding of issues related to the intersection of tech, data, investigation, misinformation and civil liberties.
- Strong research and writing skills and ability to write in a non-academic, accessible and engaging manner.
- Native or near native written English, and additional languages (among others French, Spanish) are a distinct advantage.
- Experience working internationally and a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world.
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out.
- Collaborative and supportive, committed to an active listening and learning culture.
- Working with integrity and respect, both internally and while representing Tactical Tech externally.
- A full-time position for a limited term, 12-month contract. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance.
- Competitive salary within the non-governmental sector in Berlin.
- International, lively and friendly team of engaged professionals.
- A diverse, inclusive working environment.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours and possibility of remote work divided into in-person collaborative meetings and other tasks that can be performed remotely.
- An attractive place to work in the center of Berlin.
- During the current COVID-19 pandemic, we mainly work remotely with in-person meetings dependent on the developments and restrictions in place.
- Tactical Tech’s team is mostly Berlin-based, please note that the preference is for candidates with the pre-existing legal right to work in Germany.
Please apply via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “ETI Coordinator” with your CV and a covering letter in PDF format outlining your suitability for the post and your availability by October 5th. Please provide two contacts for references from previous jobs in a similar position, we would contact them at a later stage of recruitment process with your prior approval.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.
Illustration: Ann Kiernan