Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin, working to investigate and mitigate the impact of digital technologies on society.
Tactical Tech is currently developing educational materials to train journalists, human rights defenders, and civil society on leading investigations, in particular to combat misinformation via investigation and verification of information, with an emphasis on digital security. The materials will be geared toward those living in Latin America, Sub-Saharan Africa, MENA, and Southeast Asia.
We are inviting experienced Researcher/Writers who have a strong understanding of digital investigative techniques to contribute to creating written learning material about a variety of topics related to conducting online investigations and verifying online information. The role also includes researching the latest developments in these topics, particularly in the country contexts listed above. Topics include:
- Conducting online research
- Verifying online information
- Research using databases
- Conducting image analysis
- Basic data operations
- Finding and using metadata
- Tools for data processing
Interested candidates should have:
- at least 5 years practical experience using digital investigative techniques
- excellent writing skills and a proven ability to write in a non-academic, engaging manner for non-technical audiences in a number of formats
- basic understanding of the locational risks and safety considerations in high-risk countries
- fluency in written and spoken English
- ability to build upon a pre-designed outline
- ability to deliver on-time under tight deadlines
- ability to work collaboratively in a team and receive edits and feedback
- excellent skills in using open source software
- experience in conducting research internationally and a sensitivity to political situations, cultures and different views of the world
- demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out.
The role is a short-term, part-time consultancy, between the months of April – June 2021.
If you are interested in collaborating with us please email your expression of interest to be included on the Roster to firstname.lastname@example.org (tag: DEK Writer) with your CV, a list (with online links) of your recent publications, 1-2 writing samples of 500 words or less; and a note explaining why you are interested in consulting with us and your approximate hourly and daily consultancy rate. Please submit these documents as a PDF. The PGP Key fingerprint for email@example.com is: B468 3189 57AF DB42 ACF2 DD8B 2F2E D124 AF9E C238.
Please submit entries by Friday, 26 March 2021, 12.00 a.m. CET.
Only successful candidates will be contacted, when project work becomes available. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.
Illustration by Ann Kiernan