Tactical Tech is opening a year-long volunteer opportunity for an individual who would like to learn more about sustainable digital technologies and support our international reaching work and join our team in the Berlin-based office.
Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin. At Tactical Tech, we strive to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society. Our approach is practical and our work focuses on how technology impacts power structures, public and private accountability, human rights and social justice.
This opportunity will allow you to engage with activites and projects enabling critical thinking and digital literacy and aiming at building the capacity of civil society actors on the evolving topics of influence and opinion making in the digital age.
This volunteer position offers a unique insight into the production of online and offline cultural interventions, especially in relation to the Glass Room project – providing resources and materials to partners globally, supporting an outdoor exhibition in Berlin, developing learning assets and workshops around data literacy, as well as supporting partners globally in organising events for their communities.
Your daily responsibilities will include:
- Supporting project tasks, like partnership contact and administration, translations of produced assets, online workshops and others.
- Engaging with the outreach and communications, among others editing website content entries, social media channels etc.
- Completing project administration or logistic tasks, including support of the production and organisation of the outdoor exhibition in Berlin.
Your learnings will include:
- Insights into an innovative projects that aims at explaining to a wider public the challenges and risks of technology.
- Learning about the work and structure of an international NGO, about office and event management.
- Work along a diverse, international team of highly engaged professionals with variety of expertise.
- Work with a team, as well as independently with support and guidelines.
- Broaden your international network.
- Opportunities to bring and develop your own ideas.
- You are between 18 – 30 years of age when starting and haven’t done ESC (EVS) volunteering yet.
- You must also be legally resident in an EU member state or one of the following partner countries: Republic of Northern Macedonia and Turkey, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Norway, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kosovo, Montenegro, Serbia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, Ukraine, Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Palestine, Syria, Tunisia.
- Good spoken and written English. Other languages including but not limited to German are a great asset in our work.
- You find Tactical Tech's mission and values inspiring and you are open to working internationally and with a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world.
- You enjoy working in a team, international enviornment, get engaged with new challenges, in a collaborative and supportive manner, committed to an active listening and learning culture
- Interest or other experience related to public education, society and technology will be a definite help for you.
- Experience with CMS, databases, Gitlab, other digital tools and editing skills are a definite plus.
As with any position at Tactical Tech we cultivate a culture of inclusion for all our team members that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. Tactical Tech is committed to achieving this through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and nondiscrimination policy in all aspects of employment and work. We strongly encourage applications from members of any marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are underrepresented in this activity.
How does it work
- The volunteer placement is for a period of 12 months and can start between August-September.
- Weekly working time: 30-35 hours (normally Monday-Friday; in case of events work on weekends can occasionally be required).
- Holiday entitelement: 25 days for the total of the volunteering period.
- Please note that we would like to host a volunteer in Berlin for the entire duration of the volunteering period. However, in case the Covid-19 developments and regulations of Germany and the country the volunteer will come from do not allow this, the volunteering can be done remotely, partly, or entirely.
- Volunteer receive a monthly allowance of 1000,00 EUR for accommodation, livelihood, pocket money, monthly tickets (if the accommodation is provided from our side the allowance will be reduced).
- Finding accommodation in Berlin might be challenging. For that reason, it is important for us that you are aware of it, we will support you in your search and provide necessary assistance but you might need to be flexible about the accommodation.
- Participants have access and are encouraged to take an opportunity of a German on line language course.
- Reimbursement of the travel, visa and insurance costs, and support with visa application. Support and assistance with other formalities on the ground in Berlin.
- Participation in ESC seminars provided by the National Agency is required.
EUROPEAN SOLIDARITY CORPS (ESC)
This opportunity is related to a European Solidarity Corps funding and therefore must meet the requirements of the programme.
The European Solidarity Corps is an initiative funded by the EU Commission in the frame of Erasmus+. Tactical Tech is a hosting organization for volunteers; each incoming volunteer needs a sending organization from his or her country.
Therefore, please check already which organization could be your sending organization and get in touch with them. You can also check the database of sending organizations online. More information: https://europa.eu/youth/solidarity_en
How to apply
Please send your application via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject line “European Solidarity Corps” with your CV and a covering letter in English in one document in a PDF format by July 24th 2022.
Please provide the following information in your application:
• Your competences / subjects / personal focus that you can contribute - languages, working fields where you are/were active in.
• Necessary information for possible visa application (whether you need a visa, what kind of support you need from our side) and your availability.
The application can be also submitted in an alternative form, e.g. as a video or a presentation, if it answers the above mentioned questions.
Please note that you can only apply if you are under the age of 30 and if you haven’t done ESC volunteering already before.
If you are interested in the opportunity, but are not sure you fulfill the criteria or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.