[CLOSED] Open Call- Researcher in digital and media literacy topics for youth inter-generational audiences
Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin, working to investigate the impact of digital technologies on society. We seek an experienced researcher who has a good understanding of digital and media literacy to work with us on a limited-time consultancy contract in order to gather and distil the latest research in the field of digital media literacy education.
The Researcher will be expected to:
- Conduct a literature review of the most up-to-date research and publications on the efficacy of different methods of media literacy in public education for youth. For this, the Researcher is expected to also compile an annotated bibliography.
- Compile and review existing educational resources, methods, formats and promising practices related to digital and media literacy for youth, as well as resources related to inter-generational education..
- Write an interim report:
- Summarizing the initial key findings and recommendations);
- Including the interim annotated bibliography;
- Including the compilation of existing resources, formats and promising practices;
- Present this interim report in a meeting which includes key stakeholders at Tactical Tech (online).
- Submit a final report, which goes in-depth into:
- The overall findings;
- Including the final full annotated bibliography;
- Including the final full compilation of existing resources, formats and promising practices;
- Present this final report in a meeting which includes key stakeholders at Tactical Tech (online or in-person, to be determined).
Due to overlapping and rapid requirements of the initiative, we ask that the Researcher split their work into phases, to better inform our team at various points of the research work:
- Phase 1 (20th February to 6th March): This phase covers the first 2 weeks of the consultancy (30% of the agreed time). Here you will begin the work of conducting a literature review and compiling existing resources. At the end of the 2 weeks, you will submit a written interim report which you will also present online to Tactical Tech.
- Phase 2 (6th March to 1st April): This phase lasts up to an additional 2 months after Phase 1 (to be agreed upon between Consultant and Tactical Tech- 70% of the agreed time). During this period, the Researcher will dive deeper into the literature review and compiling of further existing resources. At the end of this final phase, the Researcher will submit a written final report which you will also present (online or in-person) to Tactical Tech.
Interested candidates should have:
- at least 3 years of practical experience as a Researcher focusing on digital and media literacy;
- extensive experience with empirical research, particularly qualitative and quantitative research methods;
- fluency in written and spoken English;
- excellent writing skills;
- ability to deliver on-time under tight deadlines;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- experience working internationally and a sensitivity to political situations, culture and different views of the world;
- demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out;
- Considered a plus: specialised knowledge in research focusing on inter-generational digital and media literacy;
- Considered a plus: experience working within an international NGO or non-profit context;
- Considered a plus: a proven ability to write in a non-academic, engaging manner for non-technical audiences in a number of formats.
- Have availability to work with us between 20th February to 1st April.
If you are interested in collaborating with us, please:
- Email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use the subject line: “Media Literacy Researcher Consultant”.
- Attach your CV as a PDF (this should include a list (with online links) of your recent publications).
- Explain why you're interested in consulting with us.
- Clarify your approximate daily consultancy rate.
- Estimate how many days of consultancy work you would need to complete each Phase of this task (as described in this call).
Deadline: This consultancy call will officially close by Monday, 20th February at 09:00 CET (Central European Time), however, we will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis and may close the application sooner if we find a suitable candidate. Please apply as soon as possible.
Successful candidates will be invited to interviews. Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.