Tactical Tech is an international NGO, with an office in Berlin. At Tactical Tech, we strive to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society. Our approach is practical and our work focuses on how technology impacts power structures, public and private accountability, human rights and social justice.
Tactical Tech is offering an internship position for a student or a junior professional looking to engage with an international cultural project and/or complete their obligatory student internship (Praktikum). This internship position offers a unique insight into the production of online and offline cultural interventions internationally, with a specific focus on the process of translation, contextualisation and outreach. The intern will assist Tactical Tech’s Glass Room project in the process of preparing materials and supporting partners globally in organising events for their communities.
This is a great opportunity to work with highly engaged international partners and gain an insight into an innovative project that aims at explaining to a wider public the challenges and risks of technology.
The Glass Room is an immersive exhibition on technology, data and privacy that has been visited by 230,000 people worldwide.
It has been adapted to a number of formats: a large stand-alone exhibition that has appeared in San Francisco, London, New York and Berlin; and a smaller curated exhibition for major galleries, museums and festivals.
We have also set up The Glass Room Community Edition, a set of visualisations and digital assets that can be produced at scale so that event organisers, communities and organisations throughout the world can host their own exhibition. In 2019, over 60 exhibitions were hosted in 38 countries across the globe.
Your daily responsibilities will include
- Working with various Tactical Tech projects on coordination of translation materials
- Supporting project administration tasks, among others creating and maintaining a new translators’ database
- Shipping & logistics for Glass Room materials
- Supporting outreach and communications, among others editing website content entries, social media channels etc.
- Supporting other project tasks, like animation production, online workshops and others
What skills and experience might help you to succeed and learn in this position
- Good organisational skills with practical experience.
- Experience in working internationally and/or organising events.
- Good spoken and written English. Other languages including but not limited to German are a great asset in our work.
- Interest in public education, society and technology.
- Experience with CMS, databases, Gitlab, other digital tools and editing skills are a definite plus.
- Ability to work well in a team, as well as independently with support and guidelines.
How it works
- This an internship position for a minimum of 4 months with a possibility of an extension to maximum 6 months. It is a full time position (35-40hrs/week), starting latest November.
- We offer an internship contract with a remuneration according to the internship status.
- This post is based in Berlin: a legal entitlement to work in Germany or a university enrolment is required.
- The internship can take place in the office or partly remotely. An availability to access the Berlin office is an essential part of the role. We remain mindful of the Covid-19 pandemic, following any changes in workplace requirements and safety measures.
- The working language of the organisation is English.
How to apply
Please apply via email to email@example.com, subject line “Glass Room Intern” with your CV and a covering letter in English in PDF format outlining your suitability for the post and your availability by October 29th 2021.Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.