Tactical Tech is an international NGO whose mission is to build capacity at the intersection of human rights and technology in order to create more equitable, democratic and sustainable societies.
Tactical Tech is looking for a motivated junior DevSecOps specialist who is willing to learn and actively collaborate with our IT and tech team. An ideal candidate will already have 1-2 years experience in DevOps and security assessment of networked systems, plus a willingness to explain technical concepts and processes to other team members.
You will also be expected to study and eventually take over the maintenance and monitoring of some of our systems. As a junior team member, you will receive mentorship and guidance from senior members.
Objectives of this Role
- Obtain a deep understanding of our network, security, and server infrastructure and deployment processes
- Maintain and develop documentation of our systems and infrastructures
- Look after Web resources, provide support in Web publishing
- Provide custom server-side configurations as required for developing projects
- Responsible for server maintenance
- Analyze Web stats, SEO, and come up with solutions as needed
- Monitoring of error-free functionality of server infrastructure with security in mind
- Working closely with various departments to understand project requirements
- Assistance in research and testing of new platforms and solutions
- Documentation of any updates or changes to the systems or infrastructures
- Availability to be present in our Berlin office on an as needed basis, remote other times
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- 1-2 years experience in DevOps and network security
- Experience using Linux OS/FLOSS
- Confident command line skills
- Good knowledge of Linux OS (Debian, Alpine)
- Experience with shell scripting
- Understanding of virtualization (KVM) and containerization (Docker)
- Familiarity with Git
- Experience with Gitlab and CI/CD pipelines and jobs configurations (YAML)
- Ability to read and debug applications written in interpreted languages such as Python
- Familiarity with modern web stacks, including Redis, PostgreSQL, Vue.js, and React
- Knowledge of monitoring and practices (Prometheus, Grafana)
- Knowledge of security automation and infrastructure hardening
- Ability to jump-in after-hours in urgent situations
- Good English speaking skills. Tactical Tech working language is English, you need to be able to follow, communicate and explain technical concepts and processes to other team members in English.
- Tactical Tech’s team is Berlin-based, you need to be able to work in our office, and be able to secure a legal right to work in Germany.
As with any position at Tactical Tech we cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. Tactical Tech is committed to achieving this through application of its affirmative action, equal opportunity and non-discrimination policy in all aspects of employment and work.
We strongly encourage applications from members of any marginalized communities, and individuals whose identities are under-represented in this profession.
- A part-time position for a limited term, 12-month contract (working student / Werkstudent or entry payroll contract), preferably starting August, September. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds, organisational needs and performance.
- Salary range between 35k-38k gross/annually full time, depending on the experience.
- Annual leave entitlement of 25 days (in case of 5 day working week or pro-rated accordingly) and an additional end of the year break.
- International, lively and friendly team of engaged professionals.
- A culture of diversity and inclusion, with team members from various places in the world and backgrounds, who bring in a variety of professional and personal experiences and dedication to Tactical Tech’s values and goals.
- Flexible work arrangements – core hours and possibility of remote work divided into in-person collaborative meetings and other tasks that can be performed remotely.
- An attractive place to work in the center of Berlin.
- During the current Covid-19 pandemic, we mainly work remotely with in-person meetings dependent on the developments and restrictions in place.
If you are interested in the role, but are not sure you fulfill the criteria or have any questions, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please apply by July 24th via email to email@example.com, subject line “DevSecOps Specialist”with your CV (PDF format) outlining your relevant skills and suitability for the post and your availability. Please provide two contacts for references from previous jobs, ideally similar positions. We would contact them at a later stage of recruitment process with your prior approval.
We don’t have capacity to provide feedback to all the candidates. We will reach out only to short listed candidates. Please note if you haven’t been contacted within 14 days from the application deadline, your application has been unsuccessful.