Member of the Board - Treasurer
This is a voluntary unpaid position, travel expenses are compensated.
At Tactical Tech, we strive to create a world where digital technologies can contribute to a more equitable, democratic and sustainable society. Tactical Tech is currently looking to appoint a new Board member to assume the role of treasurer to the Board. As a Tactical Tech Board Member, you will help shape the future of the organisation and advance our mission to investigate the evolving impact of digital technologies on society, with an aim to educate, share and create practical solutions.
The organisation will be entering a new strategic period in 2020 and we are excited to add a new board member to take on the role as treasurer to the group. The new board member will join us in building a strong and effective organisation moving forward. Tactical Tech is a non-profit entity that was founded in 2003 as a Dutch Stichting. It has a turnover of 1.5 to 2 million per year and approximately 25 staff. It works globally, reaching over 2 million people per year through a range of projects, some working with civil society to increase their effective use of technology, others working on public education and capacity building of decision makers to make informed choices about their use of technology and its impact on their lives and on their work.
The new board member will need the desired skills and experience to effectively play this role on the Board. This board position is best suited to someone with in-depth experience of organisational accounting policies, auditing practices, financial controls, financial risk management and non-profit financial management. Organisational leadership from a governance, management and compliance point of view is an advantage.
To be eligible for appointment
- Any candidate will join the Board in their personal capacity and not as a representative of an organisation.
- Any candidate must declare any potential conflicts of interest, and anything else that might affect their eligibility.
- Extensive experience overseeing financial functions within a non-profit organisation.
- Strong practical finance skills in budgeting, accounting, auditing, financial oversight and planning.
- Experience in fundraising and a strong existing network of contacts to funders, such as philanthropists and foundations, inter-governmental bodies, social investment, or arts and technology sectors is a definite advantage.
- Familiarity with governance requirements of a non-profit.
- An active knowledge of and interest in our work. You will have a track record of excellence in executive-level and management experience in the non-profit, media or technology sector.
- At least 10 years professional experience leading a non profit organisation, foundation or socially-oriented company.
- Extensive experience and excellent working understanding of legal, HR, compliance and governance issues for international non-profit organisations.
- An active and in-depth understanding of one of our two main audiences, with a preference for public audiences over civil society audiences.
- An international outlook and experience of working in different contexts.
- A strong commitment to our mission and values.
- Trustworthy, extremely grounded and personable.
When electing new Board members, the existing Board and the Executive Team will give due consideration to ensure that the composition of the Board reflects the diversity of the Tactical Tech team and our work.
- Review of interim results, statements, organisational budgets and forecasts.
- Review of and response to questions related to the annual financial audit.
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Finance to present various financial reports to the board.
- Attendance a formal board meetings, twice a year.
- Availability to take part in occasional less formal consultations and meetings in between board meetings to provide ad hoc support on specific organisational challenges or opportunities as and when needed.
- Oversight of Tactical Tech’s strategy.
- Acts as an Ambassador for the organisation.
Tactical Tech’s Board
- Consists of five highly experienced leaders from a non-profit and social entrepreneur backgrounds.
- Governs Tactical Tech in compliance with its missAprilion, vision, organisational values and internal working regulations in line with German and Dutch Law.
- Focuses on strategy and governance rather than day-to-day operations.
- Supports the sustainability, stability and reach of the organisation.
- Provides advice on how Tactical Tech should respond to emerging issues outside of the strategic plan and supports the development of new areas of work in line with Tactical Tech’s mission.
- Provides legal, policy and financial advice to ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- Delegates responsibility to the Executive Team.
This is a senior level position and a three year appointment. Only experienced professionals, who meet the criteria should apply.
How to apply
To apply, please send your expression of interest and a resume to email@example.com outlining in no more than 350 words your interest, experience and background.
The Tactical Tech leadership team would be happy to answer any questions you may have about what being a Board member entails. Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested and have any questions.
The closing date for expressions of interest is Sunday 16th June, 2019. Applicants will be notified within four weeks of the closing date.