Level: Mid Level
Location: Berlin, full-time payroll contract
What we are looking for (experience)
Tactical Tech is looking for a highly committed and experienced individual to fill the full-time Systems Operations and Development position as part of our Berlin team. In this position you will be part of the IT team and responsible for the operations and maintenance of computers, network, and related systems.
We are looking for someone with at least five years’ experience in in-depth specialised training in developing and supporting end users’ computers and infrastructure systems. In this role, you will be responsible for the infrastructure, including internal services (cloud, mail, chat, intranet and Groupware, version control systems (git) and mailing lists). You will further support Servers and VPS, as well as Hardware, including laptops, network and back up devices. Sound knowledge of ansible playbooks for server management is therefore a must.
In this role, you will also be responsible for the production of websites and apps, and have expertise in Drupal (for transitioning of legacy websites), Ruby on Rails (for maintenance and developing of existing projects), Nodejs/React apps and Static site generators (eg. Metalsmith). In addition you will support the operations with Domain names, SSL certificates, Subscriptions to services/APIs and Staff on and off boarding.
The role will include research, testing, evaluation, and recommendations of solutions that will provide system improvements in a cost-conscious manner. Additional responsibilities include occasionally representing the organization at public meetings and supporting training efforts.
You will be part of the organisational team and, depending on experience, may manage a small team of two people. Tactical Tech is entirely grant-funded, therefore you will also be responsible for cost-effective solutions. You will report to the Executive or the Deputy Director.
Education, Skills and Professional Experience
- At least five years experience in similar positions, with some experience in international for profit and non profit settings
- Relevant degree in Computer Science or Information Systems, or related equivalent experience
- Good understanding of issues related to the intersection of tech, data, digital security, investigation and civil liberties
- Outstanding documentation skills
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills
- Native or near native English, additional languages a distinct advantage
- The ability to work in a variety of team settings
- Good problem-solving skills, with a hands-on, service-oriented and can-do approach
- Comfortable with creative and iterative processes and working in a dynamic and fast moving environment
- Ability to produce results under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Ability to deal with sensitive situations and information
- Demonstrable commitment to Tactical Tech's mission and values, including an understanding of the geopolitical contexts in which Tactical Tech's work is carried out
- Experience working internationally and a sensitivity to political situations and different views of the world
This is a mid level position. Graduates with at least five years experience are encouraged to apply. The salary is based upon our internal salary scales and is competitive for a Berlin-based non-profit. This is a two-year position, with a six month probation period. We hope to extend this position, depending on available funds and performance. We are seeking candidates who have the right to live and work in Europe, however for exceptional candidates with a proven track record we may be able to support efforts to get a working visa.
Please apply via email firstname.lastname@example.org (the PGP Key fingerprint is: F332 42F9 DD5B 91D9 AEF3 108A 6AC5 FEC2 7C8B 5F0D) using the subject line “System Operations” with your CV and a covering letter in a pdf format outlining your suitability for the post by September 24th 2017.
Only successful candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we do not have the capacity to respond to individual phone and email inquiries.